Namibia Tourist Attractions

  • More Info
    Oanob Dam
    • Rehoboth
    Oanob Dam is a dam outside of Rehoboth, Hardap Region, Namibia. Located 7 kilometres outside of Rehoboth.
    • Dams
  • More Info
    The Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht, now known as State House, was originally built in colonial times (1901 and extended in 1905) to serve as the district magistrates’ court.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Krabbenhöft & Lampe building is one of the number of prestigious buildings erected during the period of prosperity following the discovery of diamonds in 1908.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Windhoek railway station was built in 1912. The station building houses a small railway museum with a collection of railway related items as well as photo archives. Outside there is also a display of running stock.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Kolmanskop (Afrikaans for Coleman's hill, German: Kolmannskuppe) is a ghost town in the Namib desert in southern Namibia, a few kilometres inland from the port town of Lüderitz. It was named after a transport driver named Johnny...
    • History
  • More Info
    The diamond rush was one of the main reasons why the building of a rail link to Luderitz became so important. The railway line was further extended as far as Holoog by November 1908, making it possible to transport goods and...
    • Sightseeing
    • History
  • More Info
    Sesriem is the "Gateway to Sossusvlei". It is a small village called after a natural canyon carved by the Tsauchab rivier in the local sedimentary rock, about a kilometre long and up to 30 meters deep.
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    Travelling westwards en route to Khorixas, is the Ugab Vingerklip (finger of rock) situated amongst the rugged Ugab Terraces. If you stay on the tarred road you will miss this. About 35 m high, this distinctive monolith has been...
    • History
  • More Info
    Messum Crater
    • Henties Bay
    The Messum Crater is located north East of Cape Cross within the Dorob National Park in Namibia. When visiting the crater make sure you have enough equipment to handle basic breakdowns. The road leading to the Messum Crater has...
    • 4x4 Trails
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    As you travel in Sam Nujoma Drive towards Klein Windhoek from the City Centre there are three castles to your right. The most visible is Schwerinsburg, which was built in 1891. After it was built it served as a restaurant called...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Verbrandeberg and Organ Pipes
    • Kaokoland & Damara Land
    The barren mountain "Verbrandeberg", meaning “Burnt Mountain”, was proclaimed a national monument in 1989. The unique display of colours on its slopes and surfaces during morning and evening hours was a highlight in an...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Cape Cross Seal Reserve is a protected area managed by the Namibian government. It is home to one of the largest Cape Fur Seal colonies in the world. It derives its name from the padrão (stone cross) that was initially...
    • Sightseeing
    • Wildlife & Nature
  • More Info
    Woermanhaus
    • Swakopmund
    From the shore, the delightful German-style Woermannhaus stands out above surrounding buildings. It is easily recognized as the building on the high ground with a decorated tower
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Etosha National Park is a national park in northwestern Namibia. The park was proclaimed a game reserve on March 22, 1907 in Ordinance 88 by the Governor of German South West Africa, Dr. Friedrich von Lindequist.
    • National Parks
  • More Info
    Bosua Pass is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 1,728m above the sea level, located in central Namibia. The pass is located on the C28 road. The road over the pass, also known as Boshua Pass, is one of the Namibia's...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Monument commemorates the battle at Kub between the Nama and the Germans on 22 November 1904. It is situated on the Farm Voigtskub, a few hundred metres east of the road between Kalkrand and Maltahöhe along the Fish River.
    • History
  • More Info
    Hoba Meteorite
    • Grootfontein
    The experts all agree that the Hoba Meteorite is the biggest meteorite that has been found on earth until today.The meteorite came down about 20 km west of Grootfontein about 80,000 years ago and still remains at the same place,...
    • History
  • More Info
    The Otjikoto Lake is the smaller of only two permanent natural lakes in Namibia. It is located 20 kilometres from Tsumeb next to the B1 road towards Namutoni and Ondangwa.
    • Sightseeing
    • Lakes
    • History
  • More Info
    The Deutsche Afrika Bank ("German Africa Bank") Building is part of the historic street view of Bismarck Street, one of the oldest streets in Lüderitz and as such also forms part of the historic and architectural core of...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    In 1894 the German artist, Troost, tried to replace the tedious ox-wagon traffic on the "Bay Road" from Swakopmund into the interior by the implementation of a steam traction engine, but it did not succeed to operate under the...
    • Sightseeing
    • History
  • More Info
    In the gardens behind the museum is the wellknown Swakopmund landmark - the lighthouse . The first version, built in 1903, stood at a height of only 11 m. In 1910 a further 10 m was added to reach a total height of 28 meters.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Swakopmund is rich in Architectual history, dating back to the period from 1884 through 1915 when Swakopmund was the main port for the area. With German South-West Africa as a German Protectorate, a very strong German influence...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Petrified Forest
    • Kaokoland & Damara Land
    The Petrified forest located some 40 kilometres west of the Namibian town of Khorixas, on the C39 road, is a deposit of large tree trunks that have "turned to stone" through a process of diagenesis.
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Lüderitz-Keetmanshoop railway line was mainly built to supply infrastructure to assist the suppression of the Nama rebellions that erupted in southern Namibia in 1904. Due to the long communication lines between Swakopmund...
    • History
  • More Info
    Hardap Dam
    • Mariental
    Hardap Dam is a dam close to Mariental, 260 km south of Windhoek, Namibia. Built in 1962 while Namibia was under South African occupation, Hardap Dam is the largest dam in the country.
    • Dams
  • More Info
    Naute Dam
    • Seeheim
    The Naute Dam is a dam outside of Keetmanshoop, Karas Region, Namibia. It was built between 1970–1972 and was officially commissioned in September 1972.
    • Dams
  • More Info
    The government administrative office set in large gardens overlooking Windhoek, are known as the "Tintenpalast", which translated from German means "palace of ink". Government administrators, it seems, were using a lot of ink.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Bloed Koppie
    • Namib-Naukluft Park
    The Bloed Koppie is a spectacular granite hill ideal for the enegetic to explore. Smaller than the Spitskoppe the Bloedkoppie still offers ample opportunities to explore and take photographs. Visiting the Bloedkoppie and the 4x4...
    • Sightseeing
    • +264 64 404 576
  • More Info
    Warmbad was named in 1760 by Jacobus Coetzee one of the first europeans that crossed the Orange River. It is situated south of Karasburg at the Homs River, close to the border with South Africa.
    • History
  • More Info
    In 1488, while homeward bound from his pioneering voyage around the Cape of Good Hope into the Indian Ocean, Bartolomeu Dias sailed into the inlet presently known as Lüdertiz Bay. At the extreme western promontory of the bay he...
    • History
  • More Info
    Initially a 325 meter long, wooden jetty was built in 1902, which was replaced by an iron one in 1912. This was to be 640 metres long and equipped with two 5 ton and two 3 ton cranes, as well as a railway line.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Farm Mooifontein was the site of a German military station during the colonial period known as Chamis 'Lion's Fountain'. The bodies of a small number of German soldiers who fell whilst fighting in the Nama uprising
    • History
  • More Info
    On the corner of Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue and Tobias Hainyeko Street is the "Altes Amtsgericht" , built in 1906 as a school but then used as the magistrates office after the state had to complete the building
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Rhenish Mission Society played an important part in the development of Keetmanshoop, where Nama Kaptein Tseib and his followers had settled in 1866.
    • History
  • More Info
    Under an old Camelthorn tree on the bank of the Auob River near Gochas is this German War Memorial.
    • History
  • More Info
    One of the oldest buildings in Windhoek with its cornerstone laid in 1890. The Alte Feste served as military headquarters until 1915 and then as a hostel for the Windhoek High School up to 1935.
    • History
  • More Info
    In 1814 missionery Johann Heinrich Schmelen (1777-1848) of the London Missionary Society settled at Bethanië. Shortly after his arrival he built a small, one-roomed stone house. Schmelen lived in this room until his departure...
    • History
  • More Info
    Gross Nabas
    • Mariental
    South of Stampriet, 20 km along the C15, is the farm Gross Nabas, the site of one of the bloodiest battles of the war. A small monument on the main road commemorates the battle of 2-4 January 1905, during which the Witbooi Nama...
    • History
  • More Info
    Kudu Statue
    • Windhoek
    Independence Avenue and John Meinert StreetA visiting sculptor, Professor Fritz Behn of Munich, once drew a kudu in the guest book of Mrs. Olga Levinson, former President of the Art Association. "What a marvelous monument that...
    • History
  • More Info
    The Evangelical Lutheran Church, popularly known as the Felsenkirche (literally: “church on the rocks”), is the highest placed of all the buildings in Lüderitz. The German name comes from the fact that its foundations are...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Prominent mountain (1500 m) 35 km north-west of Aus, along the road to Luderitz. German for ‘the thickset Wilhelm’, the name refers to Kaiser Wilhelm II whose orders, like the insular mountain in the otherwise flat Namib...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Stone Tower in Outjo was erected in 1900 and served as a base for a windmill that pumped water from an underground aquifer. It was built over a well and is 9.4m high.
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Swakopmund Museum was founded in 1951 by Dr Alfons Weber and relocated in 1960 to the current site on Swakopmund's Beachfront. (The site of the old Harbour Warehouse that was destroyed by fire from a British warship, the...
    • Museums
  • More Info
    Rising out of the sandy plains just north of the main road between Swakopmund and Windhoek and west of Usakos lies the Spitzkoppe one of Namibias if not the worlds most striking rocks spires. Rustic Campsites scattered around the...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The War Memorial
    • Swakopmund
    Opposite the State House (Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht) towards the sea you will find a war memorial, commemorating the soldiers that died in the two world wars.
    • History
  • More Info
    From the Bloedkoppie there is a 4x4 trail of about 30 kilometers joining up with the C28. On this route there are two old German war graves dating back to 1895. There is also the remains of a German "fort" nearby.
    • History
  • More Info
    The prisoner-of-war camp at Aus was affected by the Spanish Flu and numerous prisoners of war and Union guards died. They were buried in the cemetery 4.7km north-west of the POW camp.
    • History
  • More Info
    Die ou hospitaal op Keetmanshoop wat deur die Johanniter Orde gebou is, vier sy 100ste bestaansjaar. Die gebou huisves vandag die kantore van die Ministerie van die Omgewing en Toerisme.
    • History
  • More Info
    Heroe's Acre
    • Windhoek
    About 5 km south of Windhoek on the road to Rehoboth Heroe's Acre is a memorial, constructed in 2002, in recognition and remembrance of the extraordinary sons and daughters, who contributed immensely to the fight for Namibia's...
    • History
  • More Info
    Lt. Thilo von Trotha. Born 23-11-1877 in Wahlstadt. Died 14-06-1905 at Fish River Canyon. Killed while negotiating peace with the Bondelswarts-Nama. He was shot from behind because it was suspected that he was using the talks to...
    • History
  • More Info
    Erected around 1898, the fort secured the South Bay Road between Keetmanshoop and Lüderitz, a military station building and provided bypassers with water.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The 30 Gibeon Meteorites, 600 million years old, are mounted on steel columns in Post Street Mall. Between 1911 and 1913, Dr. Paul Range, the State Geologists for the Government of German SWA, collected 37 meteorite fragments in...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    In 1908, Gottlieb Redecker, the official builder of the German colonial government’s Works Department, drew up plans for a new post office building in Keetmanshoop.
    • History
  • More Info
    During May and June of the year 1915 hundreds of South African troops were posted to do guard-duty on the rebuilt Otavi Railway between Swakopmund and Usakos. These were men of the second battalions of three of South Africa's...
    • History
  • More Info
    The “Eagle Monument” in Keetmanshoop commemorates the German soldiers who were killed in the Herero and Nama wars in 1897, 1903 and 1906-1907 respectively.
    • History
  • More Info
    The Tower of Tiras
    • Helmeringhausen
    When travelling on the C13 in the south of Namibia between Aus and Helmeringhausen near the Tiras Mountains you will find this strange tower seemingly built from scrap iron.
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Battle of Trekkopjes on 26 April 1915 was a German assault on the South African forces securing the Railway Line near Trekkopjes during the South West Africa Campaign of World War I. The South African Major Skinner had been...
    • History
  • More Info
    The Fish River Canyon is located in the south of Namibia. It is the largest canyon in Africa, as well as the second most visited tourist attraction in Namibia. It features a gigantic ravine, in total about 100 miles (160 km)...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The prisoner-of-war camp was erected after the conclusion of peace in July 1915 between the German and Union forces in South Africa. A total of 1 552 prisoners of war were initially based in this camp.
    • History
  • More Info
    Outside the Municipal building stands the 2.4 m high-bronze statue of Curt von Francois, gazing down Independence Avenue. It was unveiled on October 18, 1965 during the 75-year anniversary celebrations of Windhoek.
    • History
  • More Info
    Gibeon
    • Gibeon
    Gibeon, situated 72km south of Mariental and 176km north of Keetmanshoop just off the B1, was originally known by the name Khaxa-tsûs. It received its name from Kido Witbooi, first Kaptein of the ǀKhowesin, a subtribe of the...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    In Lüderitz a number of luxurious villas sprung up, mostly double storeyed, which became known as diamond palaces. One of these was the so-called Goerke House, the villa of the mine inspector for a German diamond-mining company.
    • History
  • More Info
    A monument dedicated to members of the First Marine Expedition Corps who died during the Herero War, 1904-1905 is located close to the State House and is known as the Marine Memorial or Marine Denkmal.
    • History
  • More Info
    Franke Tower
    • Omaruru
    Erich Victor Carl August Franke (b. 21st July 21, 1865, d. 7th August 1936) was a German military officer and last commander of the Schutztruppe in German Southwest Africa. He served in a number of locations, notably in...
    • History
  • More Info
    Brukkaros Krater
    • Keetmanshoop
    Brukkaros is 'n rustende vulkaan op 'n 100km afstand noordnoordwes van Keetmanshoop in Namibië.
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    One of the finest colonial buildings in Swakopmund is the Hohenzollern Building, on the corner of Libertina Amathila Avenue (formerly Brücken Street) and Tobias Hainyeko Street.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The single-storey Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim on the corner of Bismarck and Anton Lubowski Avenue was constructed in 1902, and was first used as a military hospital.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Bwabwata National Park - Large concentrations of elephant and buffalo, also sable and roan antelope. Main predators such as lion, leopard, cheetah and hyaena occur. One of the last refuges of the wild dog in Namibia. Common...
    • National Parks
    • +264 61 2842111
  • More Info
    The Christus Kirche was designed by Gottlieb Redecker, a German government architect, who drew up the first designs in 1900 and 1901. The final plans weren't completed until 1906 as there was the Herero and Nama uprisings against...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    Hansa Hotel
    • Swakopmund
    Hansa Hotel Erected 1905, and now used as shops and office. A new wing was build in 1950 and is still in use today as one of Swakopmund upmarket hotels.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Monument, erected in 1933, commemorates the 12 soldiers that lost their lives on 18th December 1914, under Major Franke at Fort Naulila. Major Franke was sent to avenge the murder of Dr Schultze-Jena, District Officer for...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    "Die Kasene" built in 1905 served as a barracks for the engineers regiment sent to Swakopmund to fight in the Herero uprising and construct a landing pier and railway line to the interior. The typical German Colonial style...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    A defence tower erected by German Settlers against feared Uprisings by the Rehoboth Basters. Klein Nauas: between Dordabis and Uhlenhorst
    • History
  • More Info
    Sure, you’ll see quiver trees, Aloe dichotoma, all over southern Namibia, but it’s the sheer numer and size of the distinctive forked aloes found amoung the jungle of massive dolerite boulders on the Gariganuns farm outside...
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    Located approximately 50km west of Windhoek on the C28 Fort Francois is a popular stop.
    • History
  • More Info
    The Namib Desert Horse is a rare feral horse found in the Namib Desert of Namibia, Africa. It is probably the only feral herd of horses residing in Africa, with a population ranging between 90 and 150. The Namib Desert Horse...
    • Sightseeing
    • Wildlife & Nature
  • More Info
    On July 1st 1915, the German Army was defeated at Otavi by South African troops. On July 9th they surrendered and signed the Khorab Peace Treaty. The Khorab Memorial (1920) is a testimony to this event, and can be found a few...
    • History
  • More Info
    The Old Prison
    • Swakopmund
    The impressive 1909 Alte Gefängnis was designed by architect Heinrich Bause, The main building was used only for staff housing while the prisoners were relegated to less opulent quarters on one side.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Bird Island began as a wooden platform measuring four meters square, three meters above the sea. Winter finished this initial construction in March 1930. One year later he had enlarged the platform to 16 meters square, and by...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    About 50km from Windhoek on the Khomashochland Road C28 a Gravel road to Swakopmund traveller will see see a large dilapidated building - The Liebig House.
    • History
  • More Info
    The proposed Neckartal Dam has a catchment area of 45 365 km² with a calculated average annual runoff of 397 Mm³/a. The wall will be made from roller-compacted concrete (RCC) and standing around 80 metres high with a wall crest...
    • Dams
  • More Info
    Ai-Ais Hot Springs Spa lies at the Southern end of Fish River Canyon, in a scenic area beside natural sulphurous hot springs, from which it got its name, as Ai-Ais means 'burning water' in the Nama language. It was completely...
    • History
  • More Info
    “The cottage of Captain Josef Frederiks” is the house of the erstwhile Kaptein Josef Frederiks, leader of the Nama of Bethanië and Raadsaal (“Conference Chamber”) of the Bethanië Nama Council.
    • History

© Namibia Stays - 2019 | Links | List / Manage Your Business | Namibia Tourist Attractions

Website Design and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting