Namibia Border Requirements

Namibia has a very mature immigration and customs systems and passing thought road borders is normally quite easy, if you have all the correct documents.

Some people have had unfortunate experiences with having to bribes at the posts in Africa. Namibia officials are, however, friendly and efficient and not open to bribery. You should ensure that you have all the necessary official documents to pass through immigration and customs.

If you take your hat and your sunglasses off and put on a smile, chances are good that you will get a much warmer reception.

Visas and passports:

If you’re a South African citizen and you’re heading into Namibia the good news is that you don’t need a visa to enter the country. The bad news? There is none! 

Length of Stay:

Tourists can stay for a maximum of 90 days in Namibia if they can produce a return ticket and their passport is valid for at least another 6 months. The visa is issued at arrival. Make sure right then that enough days for your stay have been granted. Possible errors of the border official will eventually go to your account. Overstaying the permitted period can draw drastic fines.

Health Requirements:

Compulsory Vaccinations Yellow Fever (if coming from an affected area)

Recommended Vaccinations:

  • Hepatitis A & B
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Tetanus


  • Malaria risk

Customs Regulations:

Duty-exempt are items for personal use, 1 litre liquor, 2 litres of wine, 50ml perfume, 250ml Eau de Toilette, 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars, 250g tobacco, other new or used items to the value of N$ 2000. All things exceeding this limit including food, are subject to strict tariff regulations. This also applies to travellers from South Africa. Gifts up to a value of 200 N$ and all personal items are duty-free. For questions phone customs in Windhoek: Tel: 061 2099111.

Taking meat across the border into Namibia. (Updated 2018)

The following rules apply to the importation of meat into Namibia:

  • 25kg per person older than 12 years and 3 per vehicle (mutton, goat and beef), are allowed for own consumption only and no permit is required.
  • If for commercial purposes and more than 25kg then import permit(s) are required and import levy is payable with Meat Board.
  • 10kg of biltong and processed meat (polonies).
  • Meat may be taken into the north above Grootfontein, but no meat may be taken out from there.
  • No pork and chicken may be imported for own use into Namibia. 

Further information can be obtained from the Ministry of Agricultural +264 61 276580

Vehicle sticker:

If you’re driving a vehicle across the border, the vehicle needs to have a sticker placed on the back of the car indicating the country the vehicle is registered in. For example, if you plan to drive a vehicle that is registered in South Africa, into Namibia, the vehicle will have to have a ZA sticker on it. Similarly, if the vehicle is registered in Namibia and is being driven into South Africa, the car will require a NAM sticker on it.

Border Crossing with a Rental Car:

If you travel from Namibia to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia or Zimbabwe in a rented car, you need a written permit by the car rental company.

Road Toll - Cross Border Vehicle charges:

If you travel to Namibia by car, a cross border charge is payable as a contribution to road maintenance.

Click here for the 2018 rates in pdf format. 

Documents Required:

  • Valid passport of the driver
  • Certified copy of vehicle registration papers in the name of the driver
  • Letter of authority from the registered owner if the vehicle is not owned by the driver
  • If vehicle is still being financed, carry a letter of authority from the bank (must include dates of travel) together with the vehicle license papers.
  • Valid driver's license
  • Carnet de Passage: Only compulsory if the vehicle is being shipped to Namibia. Police Clearance Certificates are not required for temporary importation. These are only required if the vehicle is being used for rental purposes or if the importer is in the country on a working permit.
  • Permit: Allowed up to three months, if staying in Namibia for longer and on a working permit, a provisional payment of duties valued at 16.5% of the value of the car has to be paid to customs. This is refundable upon the car's export from Namibia. The work permit must be shown on the passport and on the letter from the company in Namibia confirming that you will be working for them. Cars registered in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mozambique and Botswana do not need to obtain a Carnet.
  • ZA Sticker: Available at any AA Accredited Sales Agent store
  • Motor Insurance Certificate: Obtainable at the Border Free of Charge. Valid for 30 days

South Africa / Namibia Border post times:

  • Ariamsvlei / Nakop - Open 24 hours a day
  • Klein Menasse - Open 08:00 - 22:00
  • Noordoewer / Vioolsdrif - Open 24 hours
  • Aroab / Rietfontein - Open 08:00 - 16: 00
  • Velloorsdrif / Onseepkans - Open 08:00-22:00
  • Mata Mata - 08:00 - 16:30
  • Trans Kalahari (Buitepos) / Mamuno - 07:00 - 24:00




© Namibia Stays - 2024 | Links | List / Manage Your Business | Namibia Border Requirements

Website Design and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting