Historic Buildings & Architecture

  • More Info
    Bird Island began as a wooden platform measuring four meters square, three meters above the sea. Winter finished this initial construction in March 1930. One year later he had enlarged the platform to 16 meters square, and by...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The Krabbenhöft & Lampe building is one of the number of prestigious buildings erected during the period of prosperity following the discovery of diamonds in 1908.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    "Die Kasene" built in 1905 served as a barracks for the engineers regiment sent to Swakopmund to fight in the Herero uprising and construct a landing pier and railway line to the interior. The typical German Colonial style...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Evangelical Lutheran Church, popularly known as the Felsenkirche (literally: “church on the rocks”), is the highest placed of all the buildings in Lüderitz. The German name comes from the fact that its foundations are...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    In the gardens behind the museum is the wellknown Swakopmund landmark - the lighthouse . The first version, built in 1903, stood at a height of only 11 m. In 1910 a further 10 m was added to reach a total height of 28 meters.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    One of the finest colonial buildings in Swakopmund is the Hohenzollern Building, on the corner of Libertina Amathila Avenue (formerly Brücken Street) and Tobias Hainyeko Street.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht, now known as State House, was originally built in colonial times (1901 and extended in 1905) to serve as the district magistrates’ court.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Erected around 1898, the fort secured the South Bay Road between Keetmanshoop and Lüderitz, a military station building and provided bypassers with water.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Swakopmund is rich in Architectual history, dating back to the period from 1884 through 1915 when Swakopmund was the main port for the area. With German South-West Africa as a German Protectorate, a very strong German influence...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Windhoek railway station was built in 1912. The station building houses a small railway museum with a collection of railway related items as well as photo archives. Outside there is also a display of running stock.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Woermanhaus
    • Swakopmund
    From the shore, the delightful German-style Woermannhaus stands out above surrounding buildings. It is easily recognized as the building on the high ground with a decorated tower
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    As you travel in Sam Nujoma Drive towards Klein Windhoek from the City Centre there are three castles to your right. The most visible is Schwerinsburg, which was built in 1891. After it was built it served as a restaurant called...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Initially a 325 meter long, wooden jetty was built in 1902, which was replaced by an iron one in 1912. This was to be 640 metres long and equipped with two 5 ton and two 3 ton cranes, as well as a railway line.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    The single-storey Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim on the corner of Bismarck and Anton Lubowski Avenue was constructed in 1902, and was first used as a military hospital.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The government administrative office set in large gardens overlooking Windhoek, are known as the "Tintenpalast", which translated from German means "palace of ink". Government administrators, it seems, were using a lot of ink.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Old Prison
    • Swakopmund
    The impressive 1909 Alte Gefängnis was designed by architect Heinrich Bause, The main building was used only for staff housing while the prisoners were relegated to less opulent quarters on one side.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Hansa Hotel
    • Swakopmund
    Hansa Hotel Erected 1905, and now used as shops and office. A new wing was build in 1950 and is still in use today as one of Swakopmund upmarket hotels.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    On the corner of Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue and Tobias Hainyeko Street is the "Altes Amtsgericht" , built in 1906 as a school but then used as the magistrates office after the state had to complete the building
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Deutsche Afrika Bank ("German Africa Bank") Building is part of the historic street view of Bismarck Street, one of the oldest streets in Lüderitz and as such also forms part of the historic and architectural core of...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture

© Namibia Stays - 2019 | Links | List / Manage Your Business | Historic Buildings & Architecture

Website Design and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting