Swakopmund Architecture

Go Back

Swakopmund is full of historic examples of traditional German architecture. Most of these old buildings are not available to the public but since much of their beauty lies in their exteriors it can be enjoyed by all.

The fact that many of these buildings are still standing is due to the quality of the craftsmen and the attention to detail typical of the period. 


  • More Info
    Hansa Hotel
    • Swakopmund
    Hansa Hotel Erected 1905, and now used as shops and office. A new wing was build in 1950 and is still in use today as one of Swakopmund upmarket hotels.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Old Prison
    • Swakopmund
    The impressive 1909 Alte Gefängnis was designed by architect Heinrich Bause, The main building was used only for staff housing while the prisoners were relegated to less opulent quarters on one side.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    "Die Kasene" built in 1905 served as a barracks for the engineers regiment sent to Swakopmund to fight in the Herero uprising and construct a landing pier and railway line to the interior. The typical German Colonial style...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    On the corner of Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue and Tobias Hainyeko Street is the "Altes Amtsgericht" , built in 1906 as a school but then used as the magistrates office after the state had to complete the building
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht, now known as State House, was originally built in colonial times (1901 and extended in 1905) to serve as the district magistrates’ court.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    The War Memorial
    • Swakopmund
    Opposite the State House (Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht) towards the sea you will find a war memorial, commemorating the soldiers that died in the two world wars.
    • History
  • More Info
    The Swakopmund Museum was founded in 1951 by Dr Alfons Weber and relocated in 1960 to the current site on Swakopmund's Beachfront. (The site of the old Harbour Warehouse that was destroyed by fire from a British warship, the...
    • Museums
  • More Info
    The single-storey Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim on the corner of Bismarck and Anton Lubowski Avenue was constructed in 1902, and was first used as a military hospital.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Woermanhaus
    • Swakopmund
    From the shore, the delightful German-style Woermannhaus stands out above surrounding buildings. It is easily recognized as the building on the high ground with a decorated tower
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    A monument dedicated to members of the First Marine Expedition Corps who died during the Herero War, 1904-1905 is located close to the State House and is known as the Marine Memorial or Marine Denkmal.
    • History
  • More Info
    One of the finest colonial buildings in Swakopmund is the Hohenzollern Building, on the corner of Libertina Amathila Avenue (formerly Brücken Street) and Tobias Hainyeko Street.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
  • More Info
    Initially a 325 meter long, wooden jetty was built in 1902, which was replaced by an iron one in 1912. This was to be 640 metres long and equipped with two 5 ton and two 3 ton cranes, as well as a railway line.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
  • More Info
    In the gardens behind the museum is the wellknown Swakopmund landmark - the lighthouse . The first version, built in 1903, stood at a height of only 11 m. In 1910 a further 10 m was added to reach a total height of 28 meters.
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture