Walvis Bay Restaurants Namibia
Walvis Bay Map
Walvis Bay Information
Walvis Bay ("Whale" Bay), by far Namibia's largest port, has a short but chequered existence.
It was first recorded in 1485 by the Portuguese navigator Diogo Cão who named it Golfo de Santa Maria. Two years later Bartolomeu Dias also used the shelter of the bay as an anchorage during his passage of the Cape.
Only in 1878, however, did a European power lay claim to the place when Britain, in order to forestall an expected German occupation (which actually transpired in 1884) took possession of the bay and some surrounding territory and gave it to the government of the Cape to administer as an enclave
With the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Walvis Bay was quickly overrun by German forces but was re-occupied the following year by South African forces.
Although South West Africa became independent in 1990 as the Republic of Namibia, Walvis Bay remained a South African territory until 1994.