Luderitz Accommodation Namibia
Luderitz's historical significance is that it was the first German enclave in South West Africa, now Namibia.
Lüderitz derives its name from a German merchant of Bremen called Adolf Lüderitz who, in 1883, founded a trading station in the bay here on land bought from the chief at Bethanien.
In 1884 Otto von Bismarck, the German chancellor, declared Lüderitz Bay a German protectorate which was the beginning of the German presence in South West Africa. Walvis Bay having been already occupied by the British, Lüderitz remained a harbour of significance with a thriving fishing industry.
With the re-integration of Walvis Bay into independent Namibia, Lüderitz's importance as a port is less than in the past but it remains a place of interest with some fine examples of German colonial architecture as well as two ghost towns, Kolmans Kop and Elizabeth Bay, within motoring distance (by arrangement).